Butternut Squash Oven Risotto
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 6 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1 inch)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place squash in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast on a lower oven rack 30-35 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring broth and water to a simmer; keep hot. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Add rice and garlic; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until rice is coated.
- Stir in beer. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook and stir until beer is absorbed. Stir in 4 cups hot broth mixture. Place Dutch oven on an oven rack above squash; bake, covered, 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender but firm to the bite, risotto is creamy and liquid is almost absorbed.
- Remove Dutch oven from oven. Add butter, chili powder, nutmeg and remaining broth mixture. Stir vigorously until blended and liquid is almost absorbed. Stir in roasted squash and cheese. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 311 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 662mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 16, 2015
Taste good. Different. I used a pumpkin beer. I liked that I didn't have to stand by and ladle the broth in. I did enjoy it but I will likely stick with the traditional method of making a risotto.
Nov 1, 2015
I sooooo want to make this for Thanksgiving! Dad is coming home after open heart surgery and months in rehab, so I want my menu to be uber special! One problem though....your directions (for the first time) are not clear. Could you please review and get back to me? My specific question regards the rack above the squash, and if it is still in the oven at that point?