Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped candied orange peel
- Semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- Red or green candied cherries, halved, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, cream, honey, lemon zest and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 4 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 225°. Remove from the heat; stir in almonds and orange peel.
- Drop by scant tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350° until golden brown, 6-8 minutes. Immediately flatten warm cookies with the back of a spoon. Cool completely on parchment paper.
- If desired, melt chips in a microwave; stir until smooth. Spread or brush over bottoms of cookies. Use a fork to create wavy lines in chocolate. Place a cherry half in the center. Let stand until set.
1 each: 60 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 29mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.