Anise & Wine Cookies
My grandmother did not speak English very well, but she knew the language of great food. These wine cookies are crisp and best eaten after being dunked in even more wine.—Julia Meyers, Scottsdale, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 20 min./batch
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup white wine or dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons aniseed, crushed
- Dash salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, whisk 1 cup sugar, oil, wine, aniseed and salt until blended. Gradually stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Cover; let rest 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape level tablespoons of dough into 6-in. ropes. Shape each into a ring, pinching ends together to seal. Dip tops of cookies into remaining sugar. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Originally published as Wine Cookies in Cookies & Candies 2014 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.