Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed aniseed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup blanched almonds, toasted and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Line a baking pan with foil; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, aniseed, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and eggs. Stir in almonds and reserved flour mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a 12-in. x 2-in. rectangle on the prepared baking pan. Smooth the surface of each rectangle; brush with milk and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and reduce heat to 300°.
- Transfer rectangles with foil to a wire racks; cool for 15 minutes. Place rectangles on a cutting board; cut diagonally into 1/2-in. slices. Place slices, cut side down, on baking pans.
- Bake 10-12 minutes longer. Turn oven off, leaving cookies in oven to cool with door ajar. Store cookies in airtight containers.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 23, 2012
These cookies have a beautiful texture and flavor! Follow every instruction here and you will have fabulous cookies to share with loved ones! This is now one of my favorite recipes that I will make again and again!