Star Anise-Honey Cookies
When I was growing up, my mother made many desserts and pastries with anise. Today, I continue the tradition with these cookies, which are flavorful and great for decorating in a variety of ways.—Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 5 min./batch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 3 large eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground star anise
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat sugar and honey until blended. Beat in eggs. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and star anise; gradually beat into sugar mixture.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-1/2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 4-6 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Editor's Note: To make 1 teaspoon ground star anise, grind 2-3 whole star anise (or 2 teaspoons broken star anise points) using a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle until fine.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 60 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.