Frosted Anise Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./ batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon anise extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup whole milk
- Colored sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking powder; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a large bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Dip tops of cookies into glaze. If desired, decorate with sprinkles. Let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 82 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 42mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 2, 2019
I am pretty disappointed in these cookies. I was waiting for the pop of Anise flavor and uh oh...nothing. Also they are kind of bland...not much flavor ...I would suggest added much more anise.
Dec 20, 2018
Absolutely love these cookies!
Dec 18, 2017
This is a delightful change from the usual crispy, loaded with something cookie.The cake like texture makes it special. The anise extract makes it great.For those who don't like anise flavoring, I think orange, lemon, or vanilla extract would beperfect, though I would make the icing for vanilla cookie flavored.I didn't make icing to frost the cookie. I made a simple glaze and spoon drizzled it over them, then sprinkled colored sugar on top.
Jun 23, 2014
Delicious, but best of all so simple.
Jan 2, 2014
What a delicious cookie. It's now going to be on my must-have Christmas cookie list.