- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Shredded cheddar cheese, taco sauce, salsa, guacamole and sour cream
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice and seasonings; add the chicken. Seal and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
- In a large skillet, saute peppers and onions in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Discard marinade. In the same skillet, cook chicken over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Return pepper mixture to pan; heat through.
- Spoon filling down the center of tortillas; fold in half. Serve with cheese, taco sauce, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forFlavorful Chicken Fajitas
"I made this recipe hundreds of times starting back in 2000 when it first appeared in the magazine AND I was a newlywed. My 13-year-old likes it and my 8-year-old just started to like it. I just leave out the crushed red pepper flakes and I use red onion. This recipe is in regular rotation in this house."
"I was skeptical of this recipe but it was so flavorful and delicious! A hit with even my picky 5 year old! I will for sure be making this again!"
"I made this and added shredded cabbage to the sauteed peppers and onions. I did add extra onions and peppers. I also added slightly more crushed red peppers. We absolutely loved this recipe. There is something about the lemon flavor that we liked. The hub went for seconds and said you can make a lot."
"So tasty.i love this recipe."
"So tasty. Even my wife, who doesn't get excited about fajitas, thought they were good. I felt they could have used a lot more peppers and onions though. Next time I'll probably use twice as much. I also salted the peppers and onions while they sauteed."
"SO tasty, quick and easy! I let the chicken sit in the seasoning while I cut the veggies. I omitted the green onions and since I love veggies used lots of peppers (2 red, 2 orange, 1 yellow, 1/2 a lg poblano and a lg yellow onion). I lightly salted the veggies as they cooked with some garlic powder. The chicken was so tender and everything was flavorful-YUM!"
"These are especially good. My husband doesn't normally like leftovers but he asked me if we had enough left for another meal. The only thing I did differently was to add yellow & orange sliced peppers to the red and green. Very good meal."
"This made delicious fajitas loaded with flavor but still somehow pleasantly mild. They were especially good with the sour cream. My family loved this recipe - definitely a keeper!"