- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and pumpkin, beating on high until sugar is almost dissolved.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gently fold into pumpkin mixture. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and freeze until firm. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before cutting. Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forFavorite Pumpkin Cake Roll
"My mom can make this"
"I love it"
"My family really likes this recipe, with a few exceptions. We make 2 batches and modify the batter with nutmeg and ginger, also we made the filling with 3/4 the amount of cream cheese. Helps taste the cake more."
"My mom made this lots when I was growing up. She would often put a layer of softened ice cream in it then freeze it. It was something that always looked hard to me! I got brave and decided to make it for my family. It really isn't that hard. I followed the recipe exactly and it worked out great! I'll be making this some more!"
"Really yummy! It wasn't too difficult to make and I was really happy with how well it turned out."
"My family loves this pumpkin roll! Delicious and very easy to make!"
"We loved this roll!!! Even the girls that are somewhat picky loved it! I have baked it several times and always receive many compliments!"
"I make this every year for Thanksgiving it is a hit..Really good...."