Pumpkin Cloverleaf Rolls
I came up with this recipe when I was looking for something festive to take to a fall covered-dish dinner. These rolls were a big hit.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 10 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 teaspoon brown sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, pumpkin, butter, orange zest, salt, remaining sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Divide into six portions. Divide each into 12 pieces. Shape each into a ball; place three balls in each greased muffin cup. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush rolls with egg. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 125 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 333mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Pumpkin Cloverleaf Rolls in Best of Country Breads