Pumpkin Cloverleaf Rolls
I came up with this recipe when I was looking for something festive to take to a fall covered-dish dinner. These rolls were a big hit.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 10 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 teaspoon brown sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, pumpkin, butter, orange zest, salt, remaining sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Divide into six portions. Divide each into 12 pieces. Shape each into a ball; place three balls in each greased muffin cup. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush rolls with egg. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 125 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 333mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Pumpkin Cloverleaf Rolls in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.