Pumpkin Knot Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each ) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 large eggs, divided use
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Sesame or poppy seeds, optional
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the butter, sugar, pumpkin, 2 eggs, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into 12 balls. Roll each ball into a 10-in. rope; tie into a knot and tuck ends under. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat water and remaining egg. Brush over rolls. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds if desired. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 165 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 13, 2019
made these rolls yesterday. they are wonderful! i needed them to be dairy-free so i took a chance, using margarine instead of butter and almond milk instead of whole milk. they came out light and fluffy and everyone loved them. my only disappointment is that my rolls didn't come out quite the beautiful gold/orange color as in the picture (i did do egg wash). will most definitely make again and again. thanks for this wonderful recipe!
Dec 28, 2018
Made for Christmas dinner. My son LOVED them!! Family was VERY impressed. The dough was messy to make. Kept crawling up the beaters so I had to finish mixing and kneading by hand. Other than that, they were super easy to make and turned out adorable!
Sep 28, 2018
Delicious and stayed moist
Oct 4, 2015
Made 1/2 the recipe with just one egg turned out realy well
Feb 15, 2015
Delicious! I made these for the first time today; I let my mixer do the kneading. Looking forward to taking these to holiday gatherings.
Aug 24, 2014
These are lovely, fantastic with soup. Can't wait till autumn to make again!Made dough in the bread machine, then shaped, proved and baked.
Mar 3, 2014
what size of can of pumpkin it doesn't say
Nov 20, 2012
My number one bread for Thanksgiving. Everyone always loves these rolls and the color with the pumpkin is scrumptous!!
Mar 29, 2012
I've been making these rolls for quite some time now and I must say they are THE BEST!!! They always turn out and are so moist and wonderful. The only thing I do different is make them into pan rolls instead of knots. Just our preference. You won't be disappointed. I'm bringing them for Easter dinner. Yum-Yum!
Nov 27, 2011
I make these rolls for Thanksgiving almost every year. This year I served them with cinnamon honey butter. Yum!