- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup meatless pasta sauce, warmed
- Preheat broiler. In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs. In another shallow bowl, mix cheese, wheat germ and seasonings.
- Trim ends of eggplant; cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/2-in.-thick slices. Cut slices lengthwise into 1/2-in. strips. Dip eggplant in eggs, then coat with cheese mixture. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Spritz eggplant with additional cooking spray. Broil 4 in. from heat 3 minutes. Turn eggplant; spritz with additional cooking spray. Broil until golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately with pasta sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forEggplant Fries
"Winner, winner * Finally a snack that is actually healthy * These crispy little sticks quickly won us over after just one bite * quick to assemble and they broil up in no time. I had no wheat germ so I used a small amount of Whole Wheat bread Crumbs. No spaghetti sauce either so I just plain old Ketchup.It does not get any easier * Its a 5 fork rating or me *JanieToh Volunteer FE*"
"Really good. I made these alongside mozzarella sticks and served spaghetti."
"I thought it was just okay. Didn't have wheat germ so I used whole wheat bread crumbs. Nothing special about these."
"Forget the wheat germ, get the Panko bread crumbs and unless there is a health issue with eggs, you can use a whole egg and add a little 2% milk and beat with fork for wetting sticks before putting into a plastic bag with all the other dry ingredients to coat. This was so easy to do and no frying involved. LOVED IT. Just like zucchini sticks, but better!"
"used my home grown hansel eggplants..Perfect"
"Did not have wheat germ so I used Panco bread Crumbs, a package of dry Italian salad Dressing and left out the garlic salt. Used egg white instead of egg substitute. It was excellent. Great and healthy way to use surplus eggplant.. The one I used was small, just 4 inch diameter at the widest and it was not bitter fixed this way as eggplant sometimes are. Thanks for sending in this recipe."
"This sounds yummy & I will try it with my next eggplant. How about trying Japanese style Panko crispy bread crumbs-Italian Style, for the toasted wheat germ? Think you will be happy with the crispy, panko Italian seasoned ones but you may have to adjust the amount of the Italian seasoning that you put in, which calls for 1 tsp., or use the plain panko crumbs & add the 1 tsp. seasoning. You will love how the panko crumbs gives anything a great crunch."
"I relay enjoyed this recipe. However I couldn't find any Toasted Wheat Germ. I used bread crumbs instead."
"is the wheat germ for nutritional benefits or does it help with the crunch? I cant get any in my small town, is there somethng else i can replace it with?"
"We enjoyed eggplant so much this way we have had it several times. We didn't even use the spaghetti sauce to dip it in. Really, really good."