Easy Chicken Tetrazzini
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimiento, drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushrooms soup, undiluted
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add green pepper and onion. Cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender, 4-5 minutes. Stir in chicken, mushrooms, pimientos, soup, milk, garlic powder and salt. Drain spaghetti; add to pan and toss to coat.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake until hot and bubbly, 50-60 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Tips
Can you freeze chicken tetrazzini?Yes, you can. After adding the spaghetti, tightly wrap the dish in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and place it into the freezer. Once you're ready to enjoy your dish, thaw in the refrigerator the night before and bake as directed. Unlike other chicken dishes, chicken tetrazzini only lasts in the freezer for 6 months.
How do you reheat chicken tetrazzini?You can reheat this easy recipe by baking it in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or whenever it is warm all the way through. Crunched on time? Check out our other tips for how to reheat pasta.
What do you serve with chicken tetrazzini?Try serving a classic garden salad like our lemon vinaigrette Italian salad or warm, fresh bread like these honey whole wheat rolls with your chicken tetrazzini dish. Any of our other Italian recipes work well, too.
What else can I add to traditional chicken tetrazzini?Like any classic Italian pasta dish, we recommend adding extra veggies or cheese to give your chicken tetrazzini a little oompf. For veggies, we recommend spinach, tomatoes or peas. For cheese, sprinkle more cheddar on top or add in some parmesan. To switch things up, try replacing the spaghetti noodles with egg noodles.
Is it possible to make this dish dairy free?Yes, you can make this dish dairy free by replacing the butter, cheese, milk, and cream of mushroom soup for similar dairy-free substitutes. We suggest switching out the cream of mushroom soup for this dairy-free cream of mushroom soup.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 438 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 686mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Jun 2, 2016
This is an easy way to make Chicken Tetrazzini! I used fresh mushrooms instead of canned and sauteed them along with the onion and green pepper. Also, since I didn't have pimiento, I diced up a roasted red pepper. I did add some sour cream to the mushroom sauce and also added a cup of grated cheddar into the dish itself, as well as using it on top as indicated in the recipe. Next time, I would add some grated parmesan to the sauce too. Keep an eye on the baking time - 55 minutes was a bit too long in my oven. All in all, a good weeknight meal!
Mar 24, 2014
I didn't have the onion, so added 2 stalks of celery diced, omitted the mushrooms, and used Mexican Style 4 cheese blend shredded cheese and it was wonderful! I also used whole wheat pasta. My husband loved it too!
Oct 21, 2011
This is an easy meal to make and my husband requested that it be made again and again! A good sign from such a picky eater! Also, I love that it's a white sauce meal that is so low in calories! A rare find!
Mar 20, 2011
This was very good, I did add some broccoli for a meal in one.
Mar 8, 2010
Awesome! Quick short form but Very Good!!!!!!!
Jan 27, 2010
I use cream of celery soup because I think it gives this casserole a more appealing color. I have made multiple pans for carry-in dinners and it always goes over well.
Feb 7, 2009
this was good, but I would like to try it with a blush sauce next time