- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) coleslaw mix
- 12 green onions, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) chicken ramen noodles
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add almonds and sunflower kernels; cook until toasted, about 4 minutes. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine coleslaw mix, onions and red pepper. In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, sugar, pepper, contents of ramen seasoning packets and remaining oil. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Break noodles into small pieces. Just before serving, stir in noodles, almonds and sunflower kernels. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews forCrunchy Ramen Salad
"Most Taste of Home recipes are awesome. I can't say the same for this recipe. The vinaigrette is lacking in flavor; I added rice wine vinegar and soy sauce to give it a bit of punch. I wasn't fond of the noodles; they need to be cooked, drained and cooled and then added to the salad. I would just use slivered almonds and omit the sunflower seeds (just personal preference). Also, you really don't need to toast the almonds. I added shredded chicken to the salad as well. I would not make the exact recipe again."
"I toast the nuts and noodles in the oven."
"Great flavor and texture combination! easy--no new cooking technique to learn. Husband and son loved it. Not the same old side dish either. I did not have sunflower seeds on hand but it's just fine without them. This recipe would be good year-round and it's staying in my recipe collection!"
"Tasty, fast and easy. Like the crunch!"
"I have several recipes for cabbage salads with ramen noodles, but this is the easiest to make. Everyone enjoyed it. Throw in some shredded rotisserie chicken and you've got a meal!"
"My Mom has been making this salad for years. It's one of my favorites."
"This was very different than your average Cole slaw. Loved the nutty flavor from the almonds. Will definitely make again."