Chorizo Egg Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 pound fresh chorizo
- 3 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- Sour cream
- Hot pepper sauce
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble chorizo over medium-high heat until cooked through, 5-7 minutes. Drain on paper towels. In same skillet, cook and stir potatoes, onion and pepper until tender, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; stir in chorizo. Cool 15 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, cream, green chilies and chili powder. Layer a greased 11x7-in. baking dish with half each of the following: chorizo mixture, cheeses, and egg mixture; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cilantro. Top with remaining chorizo and eggs; sprinkle with remaining cheeses and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until set and bubbling, about 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve with sour cream and pepper sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 461 calories, 34g fat (15g saturated fat), 215mg cholesterol, 1017mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 30, 2017
I love a great breakfast casserole and this one rocks! I've made it exactly per recipe and it turned out great. I am making one adjustment now though. I switched out the potato for corn tortillas. I take 8 standard corn tortillas and cut them into 8ths (like a pizza slice) and fry them for 30 secs in a half inch of hot oil so they are firm, but not crunchy and lay them as a bottom layer then a layer of chorizo, layer of cheese, repeat. Turns out great for family gatherings.