Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad
I love the velvety taste and texture of sweet potatoes. I once tried someone's sweet potatoes with peppers and thought they tasted delicious together. I took those flavors and developed them into this creamy, smoky potato salad. —Carolyn Eskew, Dayton, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped seeded fresh poblano pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place sweet potatoes in a parchment-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan; cover tightly with foil. Roast until tender, 25-30 minutes. Cool. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add onion, celery, poblano and jalapeno. Combine mayonnaise, lime juice, chipotle pepper, salt and pepper; pour over potato mixture and toss gently to coat. Refrigerate, covered, until serving. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 322 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 278mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Chipolte Sweet potato salad in Simple & Delicious June/July 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.