Celery Seed Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 6 medium red potatoes
- 4 hard-boiled large eggs, diced
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. drain. When cool enough to handle, peel and cube potatoes. Place in a large bowl. Add the hard-boiled eggs, celery, onion, salt and celery seed; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and mustard. Stir in cream, beaten egg and vinegar until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; let stand for 20 minutes. Whisk in mayonnaise and butter until smooth. Cool slightly. Pour over potato mixture; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
Feb 18, 2015
This has a very complex taste and we love it! You first get the tang of the vinegar and then the sweetness of the cream and sugar come through. This is amazing! Please do not alter this recipe before you try it. You will be pleasantly surprised.