Chicken Avocado Wraps
I came up with this sandwich while trying to figure out what to make for lunch one day. This chicken avocado wrap recipe is now a favorite at my house. —Shiva Houshidari, Plano, Texas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 chicken leg quarters, skin removed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil. Stir in the tomatoes, onion, cumin, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 180°, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat with two forks; return to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Peel and cut avocado into slices; drizzle with lime juice. Spoon 1/2 cup chicken mixture over each tortilla. Top with avocado and if desired, cilantro and roll up.
Nutrition Facts1 wrap: 329 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 416mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as delicious chicken wraps in Fast Track 2019