- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini (about 3 medium)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion; cook and stir until tender. Drain and cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs and seasonings until blended. Stir in cheese and zucchini mixture. Spread mustard over pastry shell; add filling.
- Bake on a lower oven rack until a knife inserted in center comes out clean and crust is golden brown, 35-40 minutes. If needed, cover edge loosely with foil during last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCheesy Zucchini Quiche
"Made this tonight without the crust, and it was delicious. I spread the mustard on the bottom of the pie plate and it gives the recipe a little zip with each taste."
"I've been making this for at least 30 years. Everyone loves it. I use spicy, brown mustard and add some greyere cheese because that's our preference but everything else is the same. Delicious!"
"I make a similar recipe and it's one of our favorites. But I use a tube of crescent rolls for the crust, don't have to prebake. We also prefer co-jack or Mexican cheese. The rest is the same except the one thing that really makes this recipe. A big bunch of fresh basil, along with a little fresh oregano and parsley absolutely makes this dish and wouldn't bother making it without the fresh basil."
"A super tasty side dish that everybody loved and wasn't too cheesy or eggy. The star was the zucchini! I added 1/4 cup of milk and no mustard, instead added some mustard powder to the egg mixture. Used a bought pie crust. Would make this again for sure :)"
"Great recipe when we had family over. Everyone loved it! Wouldn't change a thing"
"loved it very good"
"I had to change the recipe. I had all the ingredients except a pie crust, and I was too lazy to make my own. I added the mustard to the egg mixture, then the zucchini mixture. I sprayed the pie plate with nonstick cooking spray, covered it and baked it as directed. Yummy! Didn't miss the crust at all."
"Love this quiche. The mustard gives it a little zing. Have made it a few times and get rave reviews every time!"
"GREAT recipe. Will definitely be making this again. I loved the blend of spices in this."