Cast-Iron Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1-1/4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg, bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into banana mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Transfer to a greased 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 330 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 21, 2020
I glad I read Amy’s review! Same thing happened with mine, it wasn’t done in the middle after 30 minutes at 350. I cut the amount of bananas by a third, to two bananas, thinking it might help but didn’t. After 30 minutes at 350 I turned down the oven to 300 and cooked it another 20 minutes, checking it every 8 to 10 minutes. Needs bigger than a 10” skillet and maybe play with the heat and time cook. As far as the end product a slam dunk, as in with my morning coffee, five star rating, recipe is just off.
Dec 11, 2019
To fnorrisnielson: um, it tells you right in the recipe
Dec 3, 2019
I really love the idea of this and I’ve made it two times now. The problem is, it doesn’t get done in the middle. I’m using a 10” skillet. My family likes it anyway but it’s more like a molten cake than a bread. Maybe less bananas next time. Maybe larger skillet. Maybe reduce temp and cook longer. I’m going to keep trying!
Nov 20, 2019
Um, what am I supposed to do with this other 1/2 cup of chocolate chips?