Try this recipe out for loads of luck on New Years Day. Add a splash of hot pepper sauce for a little bit more kick. —Margaret Allen, Abingdon, Virginia
Recommended: Our Best 4th of July Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried black-eyed peas
- 5 cups water
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Sort peas and rinse with cold water. Place in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until softened. Drain and rinse peas, discarding liquid.
- Return peas to the pan; add the water, onion, bouillon and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until peas are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Cajun Black-Eyed Peas in TasteofHome.com 2017