Because my family loves muffins, I'm always on the lookout for new variations. When I tried these nutritional muffins the first time, they were really a hit and became a favorite addition to our big family meals.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli, blanched
- 4 cups Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, mix milk, oil and egg; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in broccoli and cheese.
- Spoon into greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 181 calories, 8g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Broccoli Muffins in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Dec 31, 2013
very good muffins, loved tham on the firest bite
May 22, 2008
no flavor except a hint of sweet? Very nice texture and appearance so I'll try them again with the addition of some cayenne, mustard and perhaps ground pepper.