Apple Carrot Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups raisin bran cereal
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apple, carrots and walnuts. Fill paper-lined muffin cups or cups coated with cooking spray three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 199 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jan 30, 2012
I made them a second time & doubled the cinnamon. Even yummier!~ Theresa
Jan 21, 2012
Yum! They taste better the day after baking them. To save time, I grated the apples in the food processor with the carrots. I omitted the walnuts since I didn't have any home. Very moist.~ Theresa
Mar 2, 2011
Love these and they have 4 g of protein which is good for growing kids!