Coconut Carrot Muffins
If you like carrot cake, you'll probably like these muffins, too. They make a neat treat for an Easter get-together! I use canned carrots to save some extra time in the kitchen. —Brittany Carrington, Tehachapi, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup plus 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place carrots and oil in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. In a large bowl, whisk flour, 1 cup sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and pie spice. Add carrot mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in 3/4 cup coconut.
- For filling, in another bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining sugar until smooth. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full with batter. Drop filling by rounded tablespoonful into center of each muffin; cover with remaining batter. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 355 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Ginger Carrot Muffins w/ Cream Cheese Filling in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016