Coconut Chocolate Muffins
With a rich dark chocolate flavor and luscious cream cheese-coconut topping, these irresistible muffins taste more like a decadent dessert than a morning treat.—Sonia Daily, Rochester, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and flour until smooth. Beat in egg. Stir in 2/3 cup chocolate chips. In another bowl, toss coconut with pecans and remaining chips.
- In a large bowl, whisk together first five batter ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together coffee, oil and vinegar; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Place scant 1 tablespoon cream cheese mixture in the center of each. Top with about 1 tablespoon coconut mixture.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 223 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Marble Cheesecake Muffins in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.