Orange Carrot Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Beat in orange juice. Combine the flour, orange zest, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves; add to creamed mixture just until combined. Fold in carrots.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 173 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 19, 2017
For me, this recipe did NOT turn out mushy at all and was very good! I like the mild orange flavor and it's not so sweet like a dessert muffin usually is. I've made these several times and every time they turn out great.
Jan 7, 2011
This muffin has a very mushy texture, likely due to the amount of carrot. It lacked sweetness and overall flavour. I threw them out.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.