California Orange Muffins
There are many orange groves in this area, so I attempted to create a muffin recipe using the fruit. I think it turned out very well, and everyone who's tried it agrees with me.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 to 3 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Combine the orange juice, zest and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with juice mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold in to creamed mixture.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 322 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 285mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as California Orange Muffins in Country Extra July 2001
Aug 6, 2013
We added dried Cranberries and they were fantastic!
Jan 16, 2010
these muffins are delicious, my 5 yr. old granddaughter ate 3,and I could have eaten the rest. but calories do show up.Thank you for sharing this recipe.