Jumbo Banana-Carrot Muffins
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes9 jumbo muffins
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, beat egg yolks until light and lemon-colored. Beat in honey and orange zest. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the bananas, carrots and applesauce.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter a third at a time.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 200 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 18, 2018
i poured into a glass pan and baked up nicely. It is too sweet so i will leave out the sugar next time. my kids like this with a light sprinkle of high percent dark chocolate mini chip bits.
Mar 15, 2018
Excellent! I omitted the sugar entirely and they were still delicious. I made 6 jumbo muffins instead of 9 so they were the perfect size.
Jan 23, 2018
can I make this into a quick bread? did not rate it as have not made it yet.
Nov 9, 2014
Excellent recipe! Just the hint of orange really makes it! I didn't have any applesauce so diced 3 small apples, microwaved until soft, worked great. Used 3 smallish bananas and added raisins! Also used heaping measurements of cinnamon & nutmeg indicated.
Aug 30, 2014
I added the vanilla and 1/3c chopped pecans. Delicious! I will definitely make this recipe again
Apr 15, 2014
These muffins were wonderful! I followed the recipe as written, but I did add 1 tsp. of vanilla, as another person suggestged. I didn't have a jumbo muffin pan. I made 18 standard size muffins. This recipe is a keeper. Thank you so much for sharing. I will definitely be making this recipe again.
Dec 21, 2013
loved loved these I used 1 cup of whole wheat flour and half cup of white flour,added 4 dates 1tbs cinnamon vanilla pinch of fennel and coconut 3 bananas because I didn't have applesauce and didn't have honey so I used maple syrup and I didn't add any sugar
Aug 11, 2013
very moist and I like the taste of the orange. My brother's girlfriend says its the best muffins she had in a while.
Jul 13, 2013
Fantastic!! I didn't make them Jumbo and I had 21 muffins. These are only 2 weight watchers points. Even my pick kids and husband loved them!
Apr 10, 2013
my son is such a picky eater, and he loves these muffins, love how he is eating something healthy and loving it