Jumbo Banana-Carrot Muffins
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes9 jumbo muffins
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, beat egg yolks until light and lemon-colored. Beat in honey and orange zest. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the bananas, carrots and applesauce.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter a third at a time.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 200 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 15, 2018
Excellent! I omitted the sugar entirely and they were still delicious. I made 6 jumbo muffins instead of 9 so they were the perfect size.
Jan 23, 2018
can I make this into a quick bread? did not rate it as have not made it yet.
Nov 9, 2014
Excellent recipe! Just the hint of orange really makes it! I didn't have any applesauce so diced 3 small apples, microwaved until soft, worked great. Used 3 smallish bananas and added raisins! Also used heaping measurements of cinnamon & nutmeg indicated.
Aug 30, 2014
I added the vanilla and 1/3c chopped pecans. Delicious! I will definitely make this recipe again
Apr 15, 2014
These muffins were wonderful! I followed the recipe as written, but I did add 1 tsp. of vanilla, as another person suggestged. I didn't have a jumbo muffin pan. I made 18 standard size muffins. This recipe is a keeper. Thank you so much for sharing. I will definitely be making this recipe again.
Dec 21, 2013
loved loved these I used 1 cup of whole wheat flour and half cup of white flour,added 4 dates 1tbs cinnamon vanilla pinch of fennel and coconut 3 bananas because I didn't have applesauce and didn't have honey so I used maple syrup and I didn't add any sugar
Aug 11, 2013
very moist and I like the taste of the orange. My brother's girlfriend says its the best muffins she had in a while.
Jul 13, 2013
Fantastic!! I didn't make them Jumbo and I had 21 muffins. These are only 2 weight watchers points. Even my pick kids and husband loved them!
Apr 10, 2013
my son is such a picky eater, and he loves these muffins, love how he is eating something healthy and loving it
May 26, 2012
We make our own carrot juice & I wanted a recipe that would use the pulp we have left after juicing. Instead of the shredded carrots, I used a loosely packed cup of carrot pulp. Zested an orange & this is a tasty little muffin. I don't have a jumbo muffin pan but made a dozen standard size muffins, baking for 20 minutes at 325. Good combination of flavors without one overpowering any of the others. Might add a splash of vanilla extract next time. Thanks for sharing this one with us.