Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat spreadable margarine
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup raisins
- In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, beat the margarine, orange juice and egg on medium speed for 1 minute (mixture will not be smooth). Stir into dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in carrots and raisins.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill half full with batter. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 145 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Mar 8, 2018
Not bad for a whole wheat muffin. It certainly tastes healthy! Would prefer it to be just a tad moister.
Jan 7, 2012
I dont know what went wrong here, because it looks like no one else mentioned any issues, but mine did not really rise. I did put in all the ingredients and definitely added the baking soda and powder. One thing that I noticed was that this was not a "batter" consistency, but more a thick paste. I thought it was strange that the recipe calls for so little liquid.
Jun 29, 2011
Just made these this morning - delish! You'll want to double or triple the batch, though: only made about 16 mini muffins, which are fast disappearing. Moist & tasty - great recipe.
Dec 13, 2010
I used applesauce instead of the margarine and they turned out wonderful!