Bratwurst Burgers with Braised Onions
This burger is a fun mashup of a bratwurst with onion and peppers, chicken-fried steak and a beef burger. The best of three dishes, bratwurst burgers are guaranteed to be family-pleasing. —Priscilla Yee, Concord, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 cup dark beer or chicken broth
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound uncooked bratwurst links, casings removed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 8 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and peppers; cook and stir 5 minutes. Stir in beer. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid is almost evaporated. Remove and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine beef and bratwurst, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 3/4-in.-thick patties.
- In a shallow bowl, mix egg and milk. Place bread crumbs in a separate shallow bowl. Dip patties in egg mixture, then roll in crumb mixture to coat.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, cook burgers 3-4 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° for medium doneness and juices run clear, topping with cheese during the last 1-2 minutes of cooking. Serve burgers on buns with mustard and onion mixture.