Gruyere and Egg Burgers
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices Gruyere or aged Swiss cheese
- 8 mini pretzel buns, split
- FRIED EGGS:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 large eggs
- Fresh arugula
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Additional stone-ground mustard, optional
- Whisk mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest until blended. Refrigerate.
- For burgers, combine the next six ingredients, mixing lightly but thoroughly (do not overmix). Shape into eight patties. Grill, covered, over medium direct heat until a thermometer reads 160°, 5-7 minutes on each side. Top with cheese; grill, covered, until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes longer. Place burgers on bun bottoms. Keep warm.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat in each of two large skillets (on grill or stovetop). Break eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer, then gently slide into pans. Immediately reduce heat to low. To prepare eggs sunny-side up, cover pan and cook until yolks thicken but are not hard. To make basted eggs, spoon butter in pan over eggs while cooking. For over-easy, carefully turn eggs to cook both sides but do not cover pan.
- To serve, spread mayonnaise mixture over bun tops. Add arugula, tomatoes and, if desired, additional mustard to burgers. Top with fried eggs. Replace bun tops.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 595 calories, 38g fat (13g saturated fat), 289mg cholesterol, 729mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 39g protein.
Apr 5, 2018
We loved these burgers. There are just the two of us, so I had to cut the quantities down, easy to do. I broiled in the oven as I don't have a grill, and used aged Swiss instead of Gruyere. The results were two very happy people, with mouths stuffed full of delicious. This volunteer field editor is happy to award a full five stars to this recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.