Grilled Seasoned Beer Bratwurst
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 Johnsonville® Original Brats
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 2 brat buns, split and toasted
- Place bratwurst in a large saucepan; add the beer, onion and fennel. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Drain and discard beer mixture.
- Grill bratwurst, covered, over indirect medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Serve on buns with toppings of your choice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 440 calories, 21g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 1052mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Jul 13, 2016
This is terrific. I didn't use fennel seeds in the recipe though as we do not care for them.
Jul 9, 2016
I too didn't have fennel seeds so I skipped those. I used Johnsonville Brats & Sam Adam's Summer Ale. I think the brats had a really good flavor but it didn't really taste like beer. Just yummy. I added in some red bell pepper along with the onions, and continued to boil them while the brats were on the grill. Then we topped our brats with the "marinated" onions and peppers. VERY good! Will definitely make this again!Update: Tried this again this evening with Old Bay Sausage and Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale. PERFECTION.
Jun 6, 2016
Excellent and easy. Make extra to just warm up in a fry pan tomorrow,
Jan 26, 2014
I use this recipe doubling or tripling for a crowd. Then remove the Brats and let the liquid and onions boil down to an almost syrupy sauce to keep the sausages warm after grilling.
Jul 4, 2012
I have made this numerous times and I always make at least 4 sausages, for leftovers when it is just my husband and me.I omit the fennel seed because I don't like it, and I add peppers as well as onions. Made these again for July 4 and they were delicious as usual. Thanks for a great recipe!!!
Jul 5, 2010
This was so much easier than I imagined. I didn't have fennel seed so I'm not sure how it would taste. We all enjoyed this one.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.