Berry Compote Topping
“This recipe is fantastic served over toasted slices of pound cake as well as warm-from-the-oven biscuits!” Try it over ice cream, too! Wanda Wedekind — West Frankfort, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the water, lemon juice and syrup. Stir in the berries. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve immediately or transfer to freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1/3 cup: 101 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Fruit Compote in Simple & Delicious July/August 2009