Mixed Berry Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup halved fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough into two portions so that one is slightly larger than the other. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, whisk sugar, cornstarch, salt, water and, if desired, cinnamon until smooth; add blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Gently fold raspberries, strawberries, blackberries and lemon juice into blueberry mixture. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 510 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 24, 2019
This pie was delicious. I'll never use anything other recipe. I added some kiwi and cherries I had laying around and some frozen berries and it worked just as well! Very easy.
Mar 15, 2018
It turned out wonderfully!
Mar 9, 2018
Filling was pretty runny so I will try some of the suggestions in the comments next time. Other than that, the pie was amazing and was a great way to use up excess berries.
Nov 4, 2017
Mine came out really runny but the flavor was on point! I think next time I’ll follow Christopher’s adaptations.
Jul 30, 2017
This is by far one of the best pie recipes I've made! I like to do my own adjustments to it by adding in unlisted fruits and berries but no matter what I make, everyone loves it and asks for more. It's very easy to make, I love it.
May 13, 2017
This pie is excellent! Before my first attempt, I read the reviews and made some slight adjustments to this recipe. I added a teaspoon of sugar to the crust to sweeten it just a bit. I also added 3 tbsp of corn starch to the 1/4 cup, cut the water back to 3.5 to 4 tbsp, and cut out both the lemon juice and the butter at the end. It turned out perfect. Flaky crust and thick filling. This will definitely be my go-to summer pie recipe!
May 21, 2016
This is now my "go to" pie recipe and I have used several different combinations of berries. All were a big hit!
Dec 10, 2015
I can't comment on the crust because I use my own recipe, but this pie is super tasty. Only problem is, it is way too watery. I thought I would be ok using fresh berries instead of frozen, but sadly no. I would recommend sprinkling flour in the berries once they're mixed. Maybe 1/2 cup. Otherwise, really tasty. I also added a bit more lemon juice, but that was a personal preference as it was a bit too sweet for my taste.
Jun 1, 2015
This pie is delicious. I did cheat and use a pre made crust. You can also alter the amount of different berries if you have more than one or the other. I even added a little extra. Made a second one and froze prior to baking.
Dec 28, 2014
Yum. This pie is delicious. The cinnamon adds a nice undertone. Mine was not as pretty because my pie plate was too deep so use a regular one