Berry-Topped White Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Assorted berries
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In another bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter; fold in remaining whites.
- With a spoon, gently fill foil- or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. Frost cupcakes. Top with berries.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 226 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 25, 2018
These cupcakes were fantastic! I prefer making "from scratch" cupcakes and this recipe was just what I was looking for. Because I made them for my granddaughter's birthday party, I frosted them with a buttercream frosting rather than topping them with the cream cheese frosting and berries. Everyone thought they were great and I will definitely be making them again!
May 9, 2017
these are amazing
May 15, 2014
I also added a little extra vanilla & Milk as it seemed too dense....did take some time but ended up very tasty. Good for scratch cupcakes w some tweaking.
Apr 18, 2013
It's such a wonderful recipe I tried it there so good thank you :)
Nov 10, 2012
This is a great recipe for white cupcakes, I gave it 4 stars simply because although I do like this recipe far over others that I have tried, I really felt that it needed a pinch more vanilla and some extra milk and butter or else they really came out a little too dense without it.
Nov 16, 2011
It's a bit time consuming compared to other recipes but everyone said it was delicious so it is definitely worth it.
May 22, 2011
These were yummy cupcakes. The recipe took a bit more time to prepare but the cupcake was very light and fluffy. The end result was really pretty too. I ended up making these cupcakes for a school cupcake contest and they turned out really good. All the students in the class went crazy over them. We ended up with one leftover cupcake and lots of compliments! They were very yummy! The best made from scratch white cupcake I've ever had!
Aug 27, 2010
I was disappointed by this recipe. The recipe was complicated and the cake was dense and firm, rather than light and fluffy
Mar 31, 2009
This is an amazing recipe. It has officially become my favorite white cake recipe a.k.a. birthday cake special. I made them for the first time last week for my roommates birthday but just covered the cupcake with a simple buttercream frosting. I normally don't like just plain white cake, but this was amazing! It was fairly easy to make and had the perfect balance of moisture, fluff, and great simple flavor. I will be making it for another friend's birthday this week. It definitely deserved to place so highly in the contest.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.