Blueberry Angel Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 11 egg whites
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift together flour and 1/2 cup sugar three times; set aside.
- Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Fold in blueberries and lemon peel.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 14-17 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Immediately remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Brush over cupcakes. Let stand until set.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 85 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 13, 2012
I made this recipe with a box angel food mix due to a time constraint.....my family loved them. Moist, light, but not as boring as plain angelfood cake!Will definitely make these again!
Aug 7, 2012
These sounded yummy, but all I could taste was cream of tarter. The icing made them sticky and mushy.
Jul 29, 2012
It would be helpful if there was some indication what size muffin tins you used.
Jul 4, 2012
Has anyone tried making these with a boxed angel food cake mix? I would love to hear how they turned out.
Jul 3, 2012
haven't made them yet
Jan 31, 2012
I am definitely going to be making these alot. They are delicious and I wonder how fresh raspberries would taste in the place of the blueberries as I love raspberries as much as blueberries and the glaze was a nice touch.LB
Jan 30, 2011
Yum! These were delicious. I left off the glaze because they were already sweet enough and made them in the mini muffin pan.