Total TimePrep: 50 min. Broil: 5 min.
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons plus 5 teaspoon water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- Spoon ice cream into a 1-1/2-qt. bowl lined with plastic wrap; freeze until firm. Line a greased 9-in. round baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. Place a clean kitchen towel over a wire rack; dust towel with confectioners’ sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, 3 tablespoons water and vanilla. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture.
- Gently spoon into prepared pan. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately run a knife around edge of pan; invert onto prepared wire rack. Gently peel off waxed paper; cool completely.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and remaining sugar and water; beat on low speed with a portable mixer for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add rum extract; beat until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 4 minutes.
- Place cake on an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet; unmold ice cream and place over cake. Immediately spread meringue over ice cream and cake, sealing it to foil; sprinkle with almonds. Freeze until ready to serve, up to 24 hours.
- Just before serving, heat with a creme brulee torch or broil on lowest oven rack position for 3-5 minutes or until meringue is light browned. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 225 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 112mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 24, 2011
The meringue did not turn out as it should. Was too thick and not easy to spread. I would not pick a recipe where we have to cook the meringue on the stove, to a certain temp. (We did use the thermometer in the correct manner). Cake part was good. Ice cream did fine. Hrd to broil in our gas oven, due to the fact that the the of the broiler was not high enough to set the cake in. Probably designed for an electric oven broiler.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.