Mocha Baked Alaskas
Make these baked Alaskas ahead of time—you can torch the completed desserts and freeze them up to 24 hours before serving. —Kerry Dingwall, Ponte Vedra, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + freezing Broil: 5 min.
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 loaf (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 3 cups coffee ice cream
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until completely cooled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, slice pound cake horizontally into three layers. Cut cake into six 3-in. circles; brush tops with coffee (save remaining cake for another use).
- Line six jumbo muffin cups with foil liners. Spoon ice cream into each. Top with ganache, spreading evenly. Place cake, coffee side down, over ganache, pressing gently. Cover and freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg white mixture reaches 160°, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add vanilla and salt; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Invert layered cakes onto an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet; remove foil liners. Immediately spread meringue over cakes, sealing to cover completely.
- Heat with a kitchen torch or broil 8 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 baked alaska: 743 calories, 42g fat (24g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (76g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Mocha Baked Alaska in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016