Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
This creamy, luscious ice cream will remind you of the signature treat served at church ice cream socials. What dessert could be better? —Esther Johnson, Merrill, Wisconsin—Esther Johnson, Merrill, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
Makes12 servings (about 1-1/2 quarts)
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups crushed fresh strawberries, sweetened
- Place egg yolks and milk in the top of a double boiler; beat. Add sugar and salt. Cook over simmering water, stirring until mixture is thickened and coats a metal spoon. Cool.
- Add the vanilla, cream and strawberries. Pour into the cylinder of an ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 265 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 166mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 2, 2019
This was fantastic ! My wife couldn’t get enough of this recipe. I’m about to make this for the second time this week but this time I’ll double it.
Nov 17, 2011
very easy. turns out perfect ever time.