Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
What could be better than a tubful of luscious, homemade ice cream made with fresh strawberries? Having an ice cream social at church with more of the same! —Esther Johnson, Merrill, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
Makesabout 1-1/2 quarts
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups crushed fresh strawberries, sweetened
- Place egg yolks and milk in the top of a double boiler; beat. Add sugar and salt. Cook over simmering water, stirring until mixture is thickened and coats a metal spoon. Cool.
- Add the vanilla, cream and strawberries. Pour into the cylinder of an ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 265 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 166mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Ice Cream in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.