Spumoni Baked Alaska
For a refreshing end to a rich meal, try this freezer finale. Its cool layers and pretty color scheme are bound to garner oohs and aahs. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + freezing Bake 5 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1/3 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in hazelnuts.
- Spread into a greased 8-in. round baking pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, line an 8-in. round bowl (1-1/2 qts.) with foil. In a small bowl, place 1 qt. ice cream; add pistachios, almond extract and food coloring if desired. Quickly spread ice cream over bottom and up sides of bowl, leaving center hollow; cover and freeze 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cherries, cherry juice, rum and remaining ice cream. Pack ice cream into center; cover and freeze.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Place brownie on an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet; top with inverted ice cream mold. Remove foil. Immediately spread meringue over ice cream, sealing to edges of brownie. Freeze until ready to serve, up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Bake 2-5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Transfer to a serving plate; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 554 calories, 29g fat (13g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Spumoni Baked Alaska in Country Woman Christmas 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.