Grasshopper Baked Alaska
Can you believe it? This stunning dessert is completely make ahead, including the meringue. All you need to do is bake it for a few minutes in the oven before serving.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + freezing Bake: 5 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 package (4.67 ounces) mint Andes candies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons creme de menthe
- 1 tablespoon creme de cacao
- Green food coloring, optional
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in sugar. Beat in vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into chocolate mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the ice cream, Andes candies, liqueurs and, if desired, food coloring. Transfer to an 8-in. round bowl (1-1/2 qts.) lined with plastic wrap; freeze until set.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Place brownie on an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet; top with inverted ice cream mold. Remove plastic wrap. Immediately spread meringue over ice cream, sealing to edges of brownie. Freeze until ready to serve, up to 24 hours.
- Bake at 400° for 2-5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Transfer to a serving plate; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 523 calories, 24g fat (16g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Grasshopper Baked Alaska in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012