Homemade Confetti Cake
This moist and fluffy confetti cake has lots of sprinkles and a whipped vanilla buttercream. It's almost impossible not to smile when you see the fun pop of rainbow confetti! —Courtney Rich, Highland, UT
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, oil and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, then egg whites, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in sprinkles.
- Transfer to a lightly greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.
- For buttercream, in a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Add cream, vanilla and food coloring. Beat until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Frost top of cake with frosting and top with additional sprinkles if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 659 calories, 38g fat (21g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 223mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (60g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.