Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid; cool to 110°-115°. Discard remaining cooking liquid. Mash potatoes without milk or butter.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in reserved cooking liquid. Add the mashed potatoes, milk, oil, sugar, eggs and salt. Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; let rise again until doubled, about 20 minutes. Roll out on a floured surface to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown.
- For glaze, in a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water and vanilla until smooth. Dip warm doughnuts in glaze. Cool on wire racks.
Dec 11, 2013
The mashed potatoes in donuts part sounds sooo weird, but these donuts are sooooo good! We have made these many times over the past 10+ years! I wish they weren't soo high in calories though.. 1 lb. of potatoes is about a big potato and a half..... These donuts go away quick at my house.
Apr 13, 2013
I love love this recipe. Made these for grand kids they loved them.
Oct 28, 2010
I just made these and they are WONDERFUL, and looked just like the picture, even for me. I used 2 cups of mashed potatoes. I will make them again for Thanksgiving and Christmas morning.
Sep 21, 2010
Haven't tried them yet, but going to. Sounds great!
Feb 20, 2010
I've made this recipe half a dozen times over the past few years. I wish I knew how much mashed potatoes "1 pound" is, but my guestimations don't seem to have hurt anything yet!