Lemon Baked Alaska
This impressive dessert, piled high with vanilla ice cream, lemon sauce and meringue, won my mother the grand prize in a local cooking contest as a first-time entrant. It's the perfect finale to a special meal. -Kevin Weeks North Palm Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + freezing Bake: 5 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, eggs, lemon juice and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Stir in butter and lemon zest until blended. Cool completely. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Spread half of the ice cream into pastry shell. Top with lemon mixture and remaining ice cream. Cover and freeze overnight.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Add vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Immediately spread over frozen pie. Bake at 450° for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 480 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Baked Alaska in Taste of Home June/July 2004