With tons of veggies and flavorful rice, this simple dish has all your sides covered. Hearty and filling, this, paired with chicken or the pork chops here, is the only side you'll need. Vary the basil depending on how sweet you like your meals. Pat Habiger - Spearville, Kansas
Recommended: 32 Super-Refreshing Dinners to Make This Winter
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup julienned zucchini
- 1/3 cup julienned carrot
- 2/3 cup cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Dash pepper
- Pour broth into a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in butter for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add the mushrooms, zucchini and carrot; saute 3-5 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add asparagus and basil; cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender.
- In a small serving bowl, combine the rice, asparagus mixture, cheese and pepper. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Rice Medley in Simple & Delicious March/April 2009, p66