Apple Grape Salad
I've made this recipe featuring apples and grapes for special dinners all through my 46 married years, and it's always been a hit. My sister worked for a farm wife during the late '30s and early '40s, and she got this recipe from her. It's especially delicious when the apples are freshly picked, and it adds wonderful color to any table! —Kathryn Booher, Laguna Hills, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups cubed apples
- 2 cups halved red seedless grapes
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup walnut halves
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in water until smooth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, grapes, celery and walnuts. Add the dressing and toss gently. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 277 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 16mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Autumn Fruit Salad in Reminisce September/October 1992