Apple Caesar Salad
I couldn't find a single Caesar salad recipe I liked, so I combined ingredients from a few recipes and came up with this one. The addition of fruit gives this salad such a wonderful flavor.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing
Makes10 - 12 servings
- 3/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, peeled, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 cups cubed French bread
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 cups torn romaine
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 medium apples or ripe pears, diced
- For croutons, combine 1/4 cup oil, 2-3 garlic cloves and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl; let stand for 1 hour. Strain oil and discard garlic. Toss bread cubes in the oil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and remaining oil and salt. Mince remaining garlic; stir into dressing.
- Place romaine in a salad bowl; drizzle with dressing. Add the croutons, Parmesan cheese and apple; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 208 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 362mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 fat, 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.