Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced peeled apples
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Gently fold in the cheese and apples. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat into a 9-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
1 scone: 253 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 457mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.