Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in onion, cheese and two-thirds of the bacon.
- Transfer dough to a greased baking sheet. Pat into a 7-1/2-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges, but do not separate. Sprinkle with remaining bacon. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 242 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 475mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Jan 16, 2016
I really liked this recipe! I did, however, think the onion was too strong-and I used less than it called for. Next time I'd either use a little green onion or just eliminate it. Still a keeper recipe though!
Feb 15, 2012
I make this recipe on a regular basis as my husbund loves them!! I do stir all the bacon in and usually add a little extra cheese. I also use onion powder cause we aren't big onion eaters. Definitely my hubby's favorite recipe!
Dec 9, 2011
Made this recipe for my company's holiday breakfast . . . it was a hit!
Sep 5, 2011
I made this for a ladies' brunch and it was excellent! I used bacon bits and mixed them all into the batter, based on another reviewer's comments. So yummy!
May 20, 2011
These are very buttery and good. I used turkey bacon and they still tasted very savory. The bacon that you sprinkle on the top before baking doesn't really stay on so next time I might press it in or just mix all the bacon in rather than dividing it. Really a great recipe!
Jan 3, 2011
The scones were delicious and moist. I will definetely be doing these again. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Nov 9, 2010
I made these for a fall morning family breakfast. My family is not big on onions so I omitted them. I did use low fat ingredients for a more healthy scone, didn't change the taste. They were deliciously healthy! Thanks for a fun and different recipe.
Aug 17, 2010
This was very simple to make, as well as quick. My only change would be to grate the onion, as I wasn't fond of the bigger chunks.
Apr 9, 2010
These have a wonderful onion-y buttery flavor. I might recommend a little bit more bacon for those bacon-lovers out there, but this is a wonderful recipe and definitely a keeper.
Mar 28, 2010
These are great! Very rich and buttery. I modified the recipe by cooking the onion with the bacon. These are very good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.