Ham & Cheese Scones
I make these scones as a way to use up leftover ham. The cheesy, savory wonders are a delight as an appetizer or an afternoon snack. —Barbara Lento, Houston, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes1 dozen (1/2 cup peach sauce)
- 1/2 cup peach preserves
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- For sauce, combine all ingredients. Refrigerate until serving. Preheat oven to 375°.
- For scones, in a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Add ham and cheese; toss to combine. Stir in whipping cream just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Pat dough into two 7-in. circles. Cut each into six wedges. Place wedges on a greased baking sheet.
- For topping, whisk egg with water; brush over scones. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with peach sauce.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as HAM & CHEESE SCONES with Spicey Wasabi-Peach Spread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016