Ham & Cheese Scones
I make these scones as a way to use up leftover ham. The cheesy, savory wonders are a delight as an appetizer or an afternoon snack. —Barbara Lento, Houston, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes1 dozen (1/2 cup peach sauce)
- 1/2 cup peach preserves
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- For sauce, combine all ingredients. Refrigerate until serving. Preheat oven to 375°.
- For scones, in a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Add ham and cheese; toss to combine. Stir in whipping cream just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Pat dough into two 7-in. circles. Cut each into six wedges. Place wedges on a greased baking sheet.
- For topping, whisk egg with water; brush over scones. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with peach sauce.
Originally published as HAM & CHEESE SCONES with Spicey Wasabi-Peach Spread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.