Apple & Cheddar Mini Scones
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk egg, yogurt and 2 tablespoons milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in apple, cheese and sage.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Divide dough in half; pat each portion into a 6-in. circle. Cut each circle into eight wedges; cut each wedge in half.
- Transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Brush tops with remaining milk; sprinkle with sugar. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 mini scone: 109 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 22, 2019
I made this and followed the directions and it was delicious. The second time I made it changed it up a bit. I added 1 teaspoon of apple pie spice (I will add more next time) and Instead of sprinkling the sugar on top I poured the sugar in a bowl and after brushing with milk I dunked the top the scone in the sugar for extra sweetness and crunch! It was delicious lots of flavor.
Feb 12, 2019
These are my favorite scones to make. They have such a unique yet amazing flavor; so fluffy and tender too. The savoriness of the cheese is so well complimented by the sage and sweet sugar. A family favorite!
Jun 8, 2017
Apples, sage, cheddar, so addictive!
Oct 16, 2016
We loved them! I didn't make them mini since I wasn't feeding a crowd and they still turned out great. I served them with apple butter and sausage patties. Delicious.
Nov 16, 2015
Oh my goodness! These are delicious! I hope to make them often! Thank you for sharingFive stars from me!
Oct 4, 2015
I made these today for breakfast to go with my homemade apple butter. I did make a few changes, one thing that I always do is switch out half of the flour for whole wheat pastry flour. I also did not have vanilla yogurt so I used light sour cream and added 1 TB honey and 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract. They were very light and airy and just the right amount of savory and sweet.
Sep 25, 2015
Oct 16, 2014
Rich and tender. I would use more sage next time. My kids ate them just fine.